Since I work from home, I decided not to print my phone number on the card.
Having a business card is kind of important if you’re a graphic designer. Aside from having the essential contact information, a designer’s card should be something the recipient would want to hold on to, a keepsake. Creating this tactile treasure was more difficult than designing my website, because I knew that once it was printed, there would be no way to backtrack and undo or redo any portion of it.
The silver gray ink is a custom blend of a metallic gray and black. The sparkle is very subtle, but just enough to give a metallic sheen to the background image on the front. If you’re wondering what that image is, it’s an antique doorbell intercom. I also chose to use a 100 percent rag cover stock. This means it’s made from cotton rags, not wood pulp. As some character in an old movie once said, “That’s top drawer.”
paper: Crane’s Crest, Fluorescent White 110C smooth
ink frontside: PMS 3375; PMS black; and a custom blend of PMS 8003 (100%) and black (40%); and a varnish protective coating
ink backside: PMS 3375; black; and varnish
shape: custom die
This is the only way to make concrete look good. With Four-nerve daisies (Tetraneuris scaposa) mixed in with Dwarf Coreopsis (Coreopsis auricular ‘Nana’) at the base of my Texas Whitebud tree and a backdrop of sundrops, who will notice the concrete?
Today is blooming Earth Day, and I have some bodacious beauties to share with you. I took these photos about a week ago thinking the predicted week of rain would destroy their beautiful massing effect. The sun’s back out today, and they have fortunately recovered. Though I’m glad I shot them earlier on a cloudy day, because these particular areas do not photograph well in full sun. Dappled shade would be ideal, but these flowers are either in full sun or full shade. For more photos of the blooming bits of my garden, click the link below.
Rosy Jane Gaura (Gaura lindheimeri ‘Rosy Jane’)
‘Whirling Butterflies’ is another name for this Gaura. Having big hair in my face pots has always been kind of important. So when this area was suddenly transformed into a sun garden by the loss of an ancient oak tree, I chose Gaura to replace my shade-loving Foxtail Asparagus Fern. There is another one of these face pots in the backyard which is in shade and still sports its dreadlocks of foxtails.
Ajuga ‘Chocolate Chip’ (the purple flowers) the will send it up blooms before it produces new leaves.
Spring has sprung here in Dallas. Unfortunately a lot of the blooming perennials I showed you last year didn’t make it after last year’s weather extremes and some bad luck. I’ve replaced some of them this past fall, but most will have to be purchased this spring when they become available. What has been replaced is doing very well. Because of our mild winter with no freezing temperatures, the root systems were able to grow the entire winter and are now well established. But it will take another two years to get to where their predecessors were before last spring’s El Niño killed them.
The top photo is an elevation done to scale to show how the wall-hung shelf would fit in on either side of the bed, and it couldn’t be a more perfect fit. The bottom photo is a fuzzy jpeg of the wall-hung shelf from the vendor’s website.
When a traditional nightstand won’t fit, a wall-hung option can be a perfect solution. My bed will be located within the gable alcove, and with only an eighteen inch clearance on either side, a traditional nightstand was going to be too much mass and clutter. After an extensive online search, I found a very affordable option that also had interesting character at El Paso Import Company. I’ve ordered one to make sure it will work for me. If it doesn’t, I would have only spent $29 and can easily use it somewhere else at Tumble Moon. There is one concern, and that is the depth of the shelf, which is listed as being seven inches. That’s not deep enough. Perhaps it can be replaced. We’ll see when it arrives, and I’ll post photos of it.
No paint colors have been picked for the house, but I felt these drawings could use some pizzazz. The back elevation has changed. The back door has been moved around to the side, and there are now two windows.
Design Development. We (Charley McKenney and I) have now moved from the schematic phase to the design development phase. Actually we’re further along and are now way into the construction document phase, but this post is about the design development and includes all the interior elevations. You know… the fun stuff. Once you have clicked over to the entire post, please remember that by clicking on an image, you will see a much larger version. While you’re in the large version mode you can click the right arrow which will take you to the next drawing. This way you don’t have to exit this mode in order to get to the next image, but you will need to exit in order to read the captions.